Twin Servant of Peace Scholarship Requirements
Scholarship Award Requirements & Instructions
Scholarship Cycle: February – June 20 each calendar year
1. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age,* a legal resident of the United States** enrolled in, or accepted by, a full-time undergraduate (12 or more credit hours), graduate (9 or more credit hours), or professional program of an accredited*** two- or four-year college, university, or vocational-technical school located in the U.S. and authorized to provide a program that is acceptable for full credit toward a bachelor’s or higher degree. Applicants must not have received a prior CWSC scholarship award.
2. Click here to apply. Applicants in any major may apply, however a preference will be granted to candidates pursuing majors in, interning in, or volunteering and have made laudable contributions in their civic life in mass communication including radio and television broadcasting, journalism, film and print media including newspaper, magazine and book publishing, as well as new media digital production such as blogging, internet broadcasting and podcasting.
3. Applicant’s intended use of the scholarship funds will be considered, with preference for uses that contribute directly to his or her academic and professional development receiving greater weight.
4. Applicants must have a grade point average of 3.0 or above for high school and undergraduate students or 3.5 or above for graduate students. Applicants must include official transcript.****
5. Graduating high school applicants must include copy of graduation diploma or letter proving graduation signed by high school guidance counselor or other administrator. All applicants are authorizing the Scholarship Committee to contact academic institutions to confirm academic files.
6. Significant weight will be given to the applicant’s ability to convey in an essay, a superlative writing style and original conceptual analysis on the topic: In what ways can minority faith institutions more effectively use mass communication to help their majority religious counterparts appreciate more the value of religious diversity in America?
Preference is given to an essay written specifically for this application, rather than a previously written document. The essay will be evaluated for effective organization, clarity of thought, relevance to the topic, and spelling and grammar. Essay must be at least three (3) pages in length on 8 ½” x 11” white paper, typed or computer printed (arial or other sans serif font 12 point), double-spaced with 1” margins all around.
7. Two (2) letters of recommendation on reference’s official letterhead are required with at least one coming from a civic or religious leader. References should include:
• How long and in what capacity the reference has known the applicant.
• Comments relating to candidate’s knowledge of and/or commitment to writing.
• Comments comparing candidate’s qualifications with award’s stated achievement criteria.
Each recommendation letter must contain the reference’s name and applicable contact information, including telephone number. If emailing, please clearly scan recommendation letters and send as attachment with remainder of application to email@example.com.
8. Personal Autobiographical Statement. Applicants will enclose a single page statement introducing yourself, interests, motivations, accomplishments, aims, ideas and aspirations that are driving you. Include what you’d like to do after graduation.
9. Photo. Applicants will enclose a b/w or color photo headshot in formal cap & gown or other formal photo for publication if selected.
10. Application deadline is June 20 and must be U.S. postmarked or electronically received by the deadline. All documents including transcripts may be scanned and saved as a PDF (the preferred file format). JPEG, GIF, and PNG saved as 100 DPI or less are also accepted file formats. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or U.S. mail to CWSC, Inc., Marina Village, 4905 34th Street S #185, St. Petersburg, FL 33711-4511. Late applications are not given consideration.
11. No CWSC Scholarship can be awarded to any student who has a family member serving on the Board of Directors (BOD). In the event the applicant is related to a member of the Scholarship Selection Committee (SSC), To avoid conflicts of interest, applicants must identify any known relationship to a BOD member or SSC member. Moreover, if at any point during the selection process, a member of the selection committee is made aware of an applicant who is a member of his/her family or any direct association or close connection with the applicant or their immediate family, the Committee member shall recuse him/herself from consideration of that applicant. It is intended that this Policy be in compliance with all IRS requirements for scholarship awards; additional procedures beyond those stated herein may be put into place in order to meet such requirements.*****
*If applicant is under age 18, the Applicant’s parent or legal guardian must consent and sign the Scholarship Application.
**Or applicant must have been granted permanent residency; have been granted temporary protected status along with approved Notice of Action issued by Citizen Immigration Services and verified through CIS Form g-845; or have been granted asylum along with the approved Notice of Action issued by the Citizen Immigration Services.
*** In general, universities and colleges are accredited by one of six regional agencies of accreditation. Eligible institutions hold accreditation by a nationally recognized accrediting agency or association as determined by the U.S. Secretary of Education to be a reliable authority as to the quality of training offered or is, according to such an agency or association, making reasonable progress toward accreditation. Check your school’s accreditation at http://www.chea.org/search/default.asp
****If your school does not authorize direct official transcripts to you, please include a statement of the same with your application and ensure your school provides an official transcript to us at:
4905 34th Street S #185
St. Petersburg, FL 33711-4511
*****Family members include the individual’s parent, grandparent, great-grandparent, sibling, spouse, child (including adopted), grandchild, or great-grandchild. Step-relatives in the same relationship as the preceding sentence are considered family members for this purpose. Direct association or close connection is defined as personal friend, employer, employee, business partner, or client with any direct or indirect financial or proprietary interest in the result of a decision made by the Committee.